The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Friday, July 07, 2006

My Weekend - part 2

So, it is kind of hard to believe that, even though I am still posting about LAST weekend, it now the weekend AGAIN! I love holidays!! And half days! (our office is now going to half days every Friday - can't beat that!!) So, here is a quick summary of what I couldn't post about last weekend:

Saturday I went to the Chapel of Mirrors.
Don't be deceived - COSM is not an actual chapel. And it doesn't really have anything to do with mirrors. Located near the docks in this old run down building that smelled like shrimp in the elevator, COSM is a gallery of Alex Grey's artwork. Grey has done a lot of artwork for albums such as Tool and Nirvana, and well as had his artwork featured in Newsweek and on the Discovery Channel. His artwork is so different than anything I have ever experienced. And it is certainly an experience. The gallery was only two rooms, and I was there for nearly two hours. There was a very spiritual aspect to his art, and some pieces were very telling of our world today (what could or should be vs. what it is). If you get the chance, I would recommend checking him out. But be sure to have an open mind!

Saturday night I was walking around the village, mostly in search of ice cream, when I was heavily persuaded to come to a comedy show (the guy selling the ticket was talked down from $15 to $7 to get in, AND he bought my ice cream!) Some of the comedians had been on SNL, MTV's Yo Mamma (which I don't really think that is a title I would boast) and the Chappell Show. It was a pretty funny evening, but nothing was as funny as the guy I was talking to after the show, Matt, one of the comedians. We were chatting for about 5 minutes when he leans in and says, "So, can we make out yet?" I just kind of stared at him. "Too soon?" he asked. Yeah, too soon buddy.

Sunday I went to The Brooklyn Tabernacle! It was INCREDIBLE!! I went for the Gospel service, and two hours later I was sad they were done. Listening to the choir gave me goose bumps that I thought were going to pop right off my arm!! Worshipping there was definitely one of my life's greatest experiences thus far! While there, I met this family, the parents had been missionaries to Brazil and they were here in NY to move their daughter, Lauren, up for her four week internship. They admitted she didn't have a place to live yet, and I told them about the Alma House. Hopefully that will work out for her to reside there while she is doing her internship. She and I decided since we were the only other people we knew in the city we would have to get together again soon. See! Church gives you friends! =)

A quick update on this short week:
The new US2 Missionaries have arrived at the Alma House!! This is really exciting because that means for the remainder of my visit, there are people my age living in the house. I met most of them last night, and they all had that same overwhelmed look in their eyes I am sure I had for the first two weeks I was here! There is one guy from Nashville, another from Birmingham, and a girl named Valerie from Texas!!

Last night I went to go see my first show of the summer. My boss had free tickets to go see Hot Feet - and its a good thing they were free. The show was alright - lots of modern dance and music. Not really my thing. All the music was Earth, Wind and Fire tunes - and the guy in front of me was throughly enjoying himself! But the highlight was at the end, where Earth, Wind and Fire - live and in person, came out on stage and sang a couple of songs! (I thought the guy in front of me was going to have a heart attack!)

That's all for now. I am still having techincal difficulty getting pictures up - so I am going to try to put them in a seperate post. Have a good weekend!!!

5 Comments:

  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Ok, so my computer is being incredibly frustrating (does anyone else have problems posting pictures on their blog? - Mary obviously doesnt) I am thinking about creating a fliker account or something - and just send links - but that will have to be done after lunch - sorry for the lack of pictures guys!

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Valerie from Texas?! I'll bet she's SUPER-awesome.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    SO, did you make out with him?? :-)

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Blogger The Bean said…

    I want to know if you made out with him too????? By the way, my blog site seems to be all kinds of messed up and rearranged. I think that we have to remember that Mary is our "internet genius"

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Of course I didn't make out with him!! And if I had I certainly wouldn't say it here (Kris reads this sometimes ya know ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home