The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Friday, June 23, 2006

Welcome to the Big Apple















So here I am, in the City. Working, living the dream...but wait, I forget what dream it was that I was supposed to be living...

Many people have asked me "So, do you just love it? Have you made a ton of friends already?" And it is time to be honest - No. Not that I hate it - it is just completely different than what I thought it would be like. Living here, by myself, is taking some getting used to. The first full week of learning everything new was not a very easy transition. The people, the places, the smells, the sounds, everything was different. I have found it difficult to make friends here for a couple of reasons.















One: In a city of 5 million people, people make it their personal goal of the day to make as little eye contact as possible. Its kinda hard to meet people when they won't even look at you.
Two: I work in an office with all middle-aged women who have homes and families.
Three: There is no one else within my age bracket living in the Alma House.

So, I can wander the streets all night, but if no one is making eye contact, I am not going to push some random chick off the curb to get her attention, in hopes that she will be my friend. Nathan suggested just going and hanging out in a bar or something to make friends there. So one night I went down to one restaurant that advertised Live Jazz with no cover. Only problem here, my one small Blue Moon was $7!!! So now it is expensive to make friends! Well, never fear friends, because as we all know, the Lord knows what we need even before we ask. Last night I learned that there were in fact some young people very close to my age, staying in the Alma house through this Saturday. And another group of people my age will be coming for missionary training July 7th-31st! So pretty much for the remainder of my summer, there will be people to get to know!!














This are the olds posts in Hudson River. I sit in front of them most afternoons on the fake grass and read, trying to get a little sun. =)

Tomorrow I have plans to go to Coney Island. That was something I had completely forgotten to even put on my list! But there is a girl here, Candance, who suggested going, so, my new one-day buddy and I are going Coney Island! Yay for plans! And hotdogs. And rides.

So, all of that to say, hopefully the days of feeling sorry for myself are over. I am learning my way around. I take a walk every night around my neighborhood, just to familiarize myself with the area (hoping to decrease the chance of ever getting lost!) Things are starting to look familiar. I have found some green. Right outside of my very own window.















So that is nice, not nearly as nicely as Kentucky, but it will do. And again, it is the weekend. And with things like a little more hopeful for the rest of my stay, I am actually looking forward to a great weekend.
















By the way - this fella above, I still miss like crazy! It turns out a visit from him just isn't going to be possible this summer - which is a complete bummer. But, as everyone keeps telling me, the next few weeks will fly by and we can see each other before we know it. So that means anyone else who has mentioned that they might come visit me, they had better not back out! (Leslie, Vanessa, Nathan, Valerie, Mary!!!) =)

I know this post has been a little bit spastic, but don't worry, its over now. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some fun stories and pictures to share. Till then....

1 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger me said…

    When is your time up?

    I hope you make some friends there until then.

    You will be glad for all of the adventure you are having!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home