The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Somewhat settled in

So, I'm here in New York now and there are so many things to share I don't even know where to begin!! I wish I had access here at the house to download my pictures, but that will have to wait for a break during work. =) I am settled in the house - I am living in a house owned by the ministry division - they host conferences and traveling missionaries here. I am located smack dab in the middle of West Greenwich Village, which apparently THE place to be!! I spent the weekend exploring, taking in the sights, enjoying the local street fair and the sunshine. I found a little church today that I went to, and I will have to save that for another post. Let's just say I have never walked out of a service before. I am still processing some of the things that were said.

My work is good so far. The first week or so will be spent creating and organizing a resource library for the division of ministry to women and children. This means finding the books (which are scattered in about 30 different packed boxes!), organizing them on the shelves, and creating an annotated bibliography. This may seem boring, but it is pretty interesting to me, because I get to see all these books that would be useful in my own studies. Also, my advisor told me that if there are double copies of anything, that I am welcome to take them for my own use, or to take them back to the Asbury library! How awesome is that? The next part of my internship will include a lot of research. My advisor Marcia is working on developing a section of the library dedicated to women theologians, as well as developing a ministry plan to women and children of third world countries in crisis. So I will be researching work and programs that have already been done or implemented, and using that information to help her in her own studies and programming. This will also be highly useful for my own personal studies. There is also time alotted to going to different centers of interest, such as UNICEF, the UN and other ministry houses. So it should all be pretty interesting.

If you want to see where I am living, until I can post personal pictures, go here: http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/amh/aboutus.html

If you want to see where I work, go here: http://new.gbgm-umc.org/work/women-children/

I continue to appreciate all prayers and messages. If you are the snail mail sending type, I would love letters to be recieved at :
Liz Hooks
275 W. 11th St.
New York, NY 10014

Or any emails, blog messages or phone calls! =)

Till next time....

2 Comments:

  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    YAY!!! Hope you're having a good time. Does your phone work up there? I was going to call, but not sure if I could or not...

    When is a good time?

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger me said…

    Hey!!! I hope you have a great time this summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home