The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Monday, July 10, 2006

And welcome back from the weekend! The weather in New York was wonderful this weekend which left a lot of time for exploring. Even though the US2s are here now, they had training during the day all weekend.

Friday after work I spent the better part of the warm afternoon down by the Hudson River enjoying my book. After I had enough lounging around I went for a run along the water front. I went a different direction than I normally do and ending running with the Statue of Liberty in view! That night the US2s and I went to Cones - which has a reputation for being the city's best ice cream. As an experienced ice cream/gellato/sorbet judge, I have to give Cones 2 sticky thumbs up. They give very generous scoops of their creamy goodness on homemade waffle cones. I don't know about the ciy's best - only because I haven't tried all the ice cream in the city. This girl is on a limited budget you know!

Saturday I walked down to Union Square, about a mile from where I live, and enjoyed a Farmer's Market. Before I could even make it into the market though, this young man with a clipboard and a mission cornered me, trying to guilt me into sponsoring a needy child. I explained to him that I already have two children that I sponsor. Listen to his reply, "Well, I would like to believe you...." I was so offended!! Really? That is your best tactic at trying to get me in with your organization...to call me a liar? Needless to say, I walked away guilt free towards the apple stand.

After the Farmer's Market I decided to explore a little more of Central Park. This time I went in on the South side (normally I go in on the west side) - which put me right at one of Trump's Towers! I had a great afternoon walking around, discovering playgrounds, the Chess and Checkers House, a massive carousal, and a few really great performers. One group were comdian-acrobats. They had me in stiches I was laughing so hard. The next guy I found was this middle aged man, standing under an umbrella of shade provided by a weeping willow. He had been there since 12:30, and I didn't discover him till about 4:30 - he was just siging, taking requests and enjoying his job. There were probably nearly 100 people gathered around, laying on blankets, enjoying his soothing voice as the afternoon cooled off. It was so relaxing to be sitting in the park, in front of a lake (pond really), listening to guitar.

Sunday I went to Forfront Church. I have to admit that this is the first church that I have been to since I've been here that I really felt comfortable in. While the other churches I have been to have been unique and interesting, this one felt more like a church home, rather than a tourist spot. I really enjoyed being there. After church I got off the subway at Grand Central Station and found a great Street Fair. This city is famous for these street fairs that last for nearly 10 blocks. Vendors are there pushing everything from clothing and linens, to scarves and jewlery, to handcarved wooden figurines and blown-glass. There is a smoke coming from the vendors selling greasy pitas and a sent of tart from the fresh squeezed lemonade. You can hear music in about 5 different languages and hear little girls tugging their daddies hand saying "Puhleeese can I have this!?" It is such a fun experience.














After the fair I went and walked around the Grand Central Station Termanal. It is very impressive and ornate.










Last night the US2s and I all went out to dinner at this great Italian restaurant around the corner from where we live. The inside was bright and inviting, and the food was awesome. This place was also boasting Sangria Sunday - $1 Sangria with your meal - can't beat that!! Last night was the first time I have gone out to eat since my first two days here, so I was really excited to be in the company of people my age, eating at a sit-down restaurant. After dinner we went back to the house for some exciting, and near fatal, games of Spades and Egyptian Rat Screw.

I great weekend all and in all. I am looking forward to a visit from some Kentucky friends this weekend, as well as getting to meet up with my cousin Mary Grace.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Egyptian Rat Screw? I'm glad you didn't post pictures of that.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here are some links that I believe will be interested

     
  • At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
    »

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home