The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Secret Shows

Last night I had the amazing opportunity to get in on a last-minute, somewhat-secret show. The Dame downtown is a local bar/music venue that I love! It is pretty old and small, and a lot of no-names play there, but it is a great place to catch local artists and the occasional passing through "big-wig." Years ago I got to see Phil Keggay - which was fabulous! Well, two nights ago, I got a phone call from Jan, "So, you HAVE to get off work Wednesday night! The group that was supposed to play at the Dame cancelled, and the fill-in band is Sandra McCracken and Derek Webb!" Because it was such a last minute show, this bar, that is normally packed when great names like theirs come through, carried only the typical Wednesday crowd, with a handful of priviliged fans.

As Jan and I were walking up the side street to The Dame, we walked past the local gay bar, Mia's, and sitting one of the sidewalk tables, enjoying dinner, was none other than Derek and Sandra!! By the way, Sandra is beatiful! We get into the The Dame, and the floor is open and there are still seats at the bar, so we grabbed a stool and stood mezmorized as a 8-month pregnant Sandra and her hubby Derek took the stage and captured our breath for the next hour with their powerful duets and soulful lyrics.

How have I never been such a Sandra fan before?! I knew that she existed, and I had heard clips of her music in Stephanie's car, but now, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted. I got three of her cds last night (hey, making up for lost time!)

Last night was a great treat!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Nickel said…

    Wow! How cool was that? Glad you were able to enjoy the evening. Wish I had known about it. ;) Thought it was interesting that in today's graduates' chapel, they had stapled two graduates' names to each bulletin and asked us to pray for them throughout the next few weeks. Guess who's name I got? :p

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    People should read this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home