The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Monday, July 31, 2006

Saying Goodbye

Tomorrow is my last full day here. At 8:30am Wednesday morning Skyline Car Service will be at my door to help me and my ridiculous amount of luggage to LaGuardia Airport. I will be leaving one extreme heat for another (actually, Weather.com predicts it to be 7 degrees HOTTER in NYC than in Panama City! That is insane!!) I am excited about getting to spend some time in Florida with my family. My cousin Ben is getting married this weekend, and family is coming in from literally all around the world. And after Florida, I am going to get to spend a few wonderful days in Slap-Out before returning to Kentucky. I can't wait to see Stephanie and Brian - I hope you guys have your walking shoes ready - because after a summer of walking every where, I have grown accustomed to the walk-n-talk! :) And I know arriving back in Kentucky will be great for many reasons: I will once again have a PAYING job!, I get to see my puppies (whom I have missed maybe more than anyone else!!), I get to sleep in MY bed, and I get to see Kris!

But before all of that can happen, I have to say goodbye to New York. This weekend I spent with the US2s, who have become such dear friends in such a short time! There was ice cream, street fairs, a riviting game of Trival Pursuit, a poetry Slam and a time of dedication. Yesterday I went to Christ Church to watch everyone be commissioned into Mission Service within the Methodist Church. It was a solomon and humbling moment as a cross was placed on each person's neck, and prayers were said over them. They are getting ready to embark on the journey of their life, and I am so excited for them. Going every where from Detroit to Atlanta to southern California to Fargo (yes, the middle of nowhere USA), they will be participting in community building, acts of social justice, and showing the love and grace of God through their gifts in all circumstances. I can't wait to hear their stories!!

Last night, Emily was the first to leave. Most everyone else is heading out today, while I am at work. For those of you I missed saying goodbye to...you are awesome and I appreciate your friendship these last few weeks more than you will ever know. You are each a blessing and I can't wait to hear from you soon!

I am not only having to say goodbye to people, but to places and things I have become use to. I enjoy my walks, the people-watching on the subway, running along the Hudson River, seeing the Empire State Building from my window, $1 hotdogs on the street corner, any type of dining cuisine you could imagine within walking distance (did I mention before that there are 6,310 restaurants within 5 miles of where I live!?!), and the music of the city. I will not miss the traffic, the honking horns at all hours, the heat that swelters off the pavement and is captured between the buildings, the shoving on the train (I got caught in the door on Saturday...I now have a nice little bruise on my arm from people trying to make room in a too-crowded train!) or having to watch sad dogs taking daily walks on nothing but sidewalk instead of enjoying some place green. But all of this, rolled into one, is what I have called home for the last six weeks. It has been an experience, a time of growing, of learning, and of dependence on God. I am so thankful to the General Board for this opportunity, and to the friends and family who have supported me through prayers, and emails and phone calls of encouragement.

So....Goodbye New York City. You were a great place to visit....don't know if I would ever live here, but thanks for the memories!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    haha...opps...obviously I meant solemn. that is really funny, because this morning i was listening to a sermon about solomon...maybe there is where that came from! :)

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post! I can't believe you are leaving already. It seems like we just got here and now you've come and gone. I can't believe how fast this summer is flying by! Have a save trip home to PC and enjoy the wedding.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home