The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The beginning of the end....

It is hard to believe, but one week from today, I will be boarding a plane for Florida. My time in New York City is quickly coming to a close. As I skim back through my first few posts, I am amazed at the way my attitude toward this city has shifted. I know it is by the Grace of God that I have opened my heart to this city. He graciously provided new friends and the courage to keep moving, even when I just wanted to stay in my room and dream of Kentucky. (and that is SO not like me!) I am almost sad that my time is coming to a close so soon. The friends that I have made through the US2s are becoming like family - as living in such close quarters can tend to do. We have enjoyed many adventures around the city and good meals that I probably shouldn't have been able to afford. =) Our conversations have ranged from religion to nature, from coffee to children. They have opened their arms and welcomed me into their group, and for that I am eternally thankful. I know that they have made my time in NY enjoyable.

And aside from the friends, I am beginning to actually enjoy the city. Nothing will ever take the place of living in beautiful country, but I have found a place in my heart for this city as well. There is so much to offer here: the museums, the street vendors, the free concerts (Fiona Apple and Damien Rice tomorrow!!!), and fascinating people watching. I have almost gotten used to walking out of my door in the morning for work and seeing my own street taken over by movie makers (today marks the third time I have had to stay out of the way of camera cords and director's chairs). For the first time, I saw the beauty in the city at night, all of the buildings glowing together to create an image that was breathtaking. I have created a routine: my subway commutes offer down time to read or people watch; the late afternoon warmth surrounds me as I take my run along the Hudson River, running towards the hope that the Statue of Liberty offers; dinners in restaurants often smaller than the subway car I was just on, with waiters who speak a handful of languages; weekends spent enjoying the tourists spots in the city, trying to blend in like I belong. And I am finding that I do belong. Almost daily now, I am stopped by someone and asked for directions, and usually I can help. The fruit vendor by the subway I use in the morning recognizes me now, and tips his hat every morning as I walk by and offer a smile. I have even gotten (mostly) used to getting up early in the morning for work. Even on weekends my body has grown accustomed to the routine and wakes well before my alarm.

And yet I am ready to return home. I still miss my bed and my pillow, my puppies and our yard, my boyfriend and my life in Kentucky. So it is a bitter-sweet moment to realize, with only 7 days left, I am ready to return to life as I knew it, yet not quite ready to give up life as I now know it.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Me too. SUPER jealous.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Thanks Nick. =)

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Thanks Mary. Yeah, the summer has flown by. It always does. I am just so thankful for my experience here - yet another thing to add to the growth chart. =) I also know what you mean about the assigned seat on the subway - I too have my own. =) And Fiona is free because it is an outside concert - so I don't have to go in the gates, I can just sit right outside of the gates and hear perfectly. =)

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home