The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Thursday, September 01, 2005

5k

So, I think that I may have gotten myself in a little over my head. Just a little. As you may, or probably don't, know, I have recently taken up running. God knows why, but I have. What some may call a pathetic attempt at an otherwise speedy sport, I have taken my time (two months to be exact) to build up to the 12-minute mile!! And I am pretty proud of myself, considering that before, the only thing that would have motivated me to run was someone chasing me. Well, I should have learned to keep my big mouth shut. I was talking about running at work to my friend Kris, and next thing I know, his girlfriend Jen is signing us up for a 5k run on September 17th. Are you kidding me!?! You mean I have two weeks to add another 2.1 miles to my already hard-enough-mile?! I think I just might die.

The only thing that is keeping me in this race (other than pride), is the benefit. All monies raised for this race (yes, someone is even sponsoring me, can you believe it!?!) will go towards Breast Cancer Research - a very noble cause I might add. (for more information, go to www.raceforthecure.com ) So, even if I fall flat on my face from sheer exhaustion (which is a very real possibility), I will fall knowing I am helping a great cause. My own grandmother is a breast cancer survivor - so when I start my run early that Saturday morning, I will run with her face in my mind. To know that more research means more hope for people like my grandmother is a great inspiration.

So why don't you join me? There are races going on all over the country!! And the best part is, you don't have to be crazy like me and attempt to run. You can walk for the cause, or even sleep in for the cause!! What they need the most is your support. So be sure to check out the details. As their own slogan says, "Run. Walk. Get inspired. Get involved... and make a difference."



1 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger M'elle said…

    Running..... yikes....
    I prefer riding horses! Could she (my horse) run for the cure??! She would be carrying some dead weight to boot!
    Good luck! You can do it! That's one of the things I remember about you-if you said you would do it, you did!
    Good luck and Gods Speed (pun intended!)
    ~ Michelle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home