The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Monday, August 22, 2005

Walken for President?

Ok, so I may be treading very dangerous water here, but why not get things a little stirred up? I don't know how many have heard the rumors circulating lately that Christopher Walken is running for President in 2008. I heard it from a friend at work, and just had to check it out for myself. www.walken2008.com

"Our great country is in a terrible downward spiral. We're outsourcing jobs, bankrupting social security, and losing lives at war. We need to focus on what's important-- paying attention to our children, our citizens, our future. We need to think about improving our failing educational system, making better use of our resources, and helping to promote a stable, safe, and tolerant global society. It's time to be smart about our politics. It's time to get America back on track."

I immediately called my friend Kyle in Iowa at 9 o'clock in the morning (for which I know he loved me for) to let him know the good news...American is finally on track with a Presidential candidate of which to be proud! After the confusion had faded and the cursing had ceased, Kyle got excited. I knew if anyone would appreciate the news, he would. Friends at work talked about Walken with such excitement, that to sum up, they basically all said their faith in American politics had been restored. Can you imagine what our world would be like with Christopher Walken as President?!

Well, as much as I hate to rain on anyone's political parade, turns out it was all a hoax. "Walken's agent, Toni Howard of International Creative Management, scoffed at the notion of Walken running for office. 'I don't know where they got it," Howard said. "That's like saying Tim Robbins is running on the Republican ticket. (Walken) is the least political guy I know.'" (Indianapolis Star article Aug. 22) Apparently, the website was created less than a month ago, and is registered only to Christopher Walken for President, complete with a Los Angeles address sporting a Florida zip code. Smooth. But I must say, I am somewhat relieved that this all turned out to be a joke. As fascinating as it would certainly be to watch Walken run for President, I'm just not so sure I want anyone who had any part in the movie Joe Dirt in the White House. I think the writer for the Indy Star said it best, "Even though it's a hoax, it's hard not to imagine what life would be like if the White House were handed over to the nervous-looking actor who could pass for a breathing cadaver in some of his creepier films. "

1 Comments:

  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Nick - I miss you and your humor! I say it is a go for "So You Think You Can Dance and Legislate Effective Foreign Policy"!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home