The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Monday, October 17, 2005

The Music of My Life

Can I preface this like everyone else? There is no way I can possibly capture the impact music has had on my life in these very contained categories. That being said, here is a sample:

Amount of music on your computer:
I personally have 3 hours short of two days worth. Nathan has his own folder of stuff I don't touch...

Currently listening to:
"After the last tear falls" - Andrew Peterson

Five songs that mean a lot to you:

-the hymn "Here I am, Lord" - when I was 13 my dad played this song on his guitar as an offertory at church. I remember thinking how beautiful it was to hear this hymn, something that I had never paid attention to before, played on the guitar instead of the organ. It was at the moment that I began to pay attention to the words we sang in church and began to realize the impact they could have on my heart. Later, this song became very meaningful as it has been like the background music to my life's calling.

-"Landslide" - the Fleetwood Mac version (though a close second is the Dixie Chick version) - I can't really explain why, but I love this song. This is one of the few that, I don't care where I am or who I am with, I'll belt it out! (right Val?) =)

-"Table for Two" - Derek Webb - We all know that I go back and forth on my single journey. Sometimes it is great, other times not so much. Derek's words just hit the center of my heart - "Because I'm so scared of being alone, that I forget which house I live in. But its not my job, to wait by the phone, for her to call" (except I always sing "for him to call" of that line! hehe)

-"Sweet Lorraine" - Patty Griffin - If I had to pick one Patty song, which is entirely too difficult to do!, it would have to be this one. Her voice is so piercing, and the words seem to make my heart hurt. When I first listened to the lyrics of this song (coupled with Tony) it hit me that music was a venue for expressing all the crap that people go through! (duh! how did I miss that one all these years? Do you remember that conversation Stephanie?) It was through Patty's music that I was able to connect with others during a difficult time in Montgomery.

-"Hold Me Jesus" - Rich Mullins - I just love this song, plain and simple. These lyrics can make me cry every time.

Top Five Albums: (this is going to be hard)
Patty Griffin - "Impossible Dream"
Derek Webb - "She Must and Shall Go Free"
Caedmon's Call - "Share the Well"
Bebo Norman - "Ten Thousand Days"

*please note - with all of these, I love all of their music and had a hard time picking just one album!

Last Album bought:
Andrew Osenga - Photographs

Recent Discoveries:
Porcupine Tree - a little harder than what I would normally listen to (thanks to Nathan and Hippie) but mellow in a metal kind of way - and I love the lyrics.

Wow - done! There is so much missing here - I would have loved to include so much more (can you believe Bebo was only mentioned once?!) Ok, I have to do it (and no...I'm not sucking up!) I have to add one more to the top five favorite: "Freedom" by our own Days. This song came at a time when God brought freedom in just the right way to my heart after a very difficult semester. Whenever I hear this song now, and every time I heard the guys play it back then, it reminded me not only of God's powerful gift of freedom, but of the Grace through difficult times.

I don't know that there is anyone left to pass the baton to....Michelle? Any other takers?

3 Comments:

  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Ok, I'm slightly embarassed to be my own first comment, but I just realized I only put 4 albums - the 5th was supposed to be U2 "The Best of 1980-1990" - opps! =)

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Landslide! I forgot about that song. Another song that I would have added to my list ... "Bad" by U2.

    It's just too hard to try to pick 5. And 5 is such a random starting point, anyway. =)

    ssg

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger Ciona said…

    I really like Patty Griffin, too. Thanks for reminding me that she's in my long list of great music that was far too long for this tiny blog baton.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home