The Life of a Bartending Seminarian

"I'm learning to surrender; I'm learning to forgive; I'm learning to recieve all the love; All the love You have for me." ~ Isa Couvertier

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Myfaceblogbookspace.com

I know I missed the discussion on blogging vs. facebook vs. myspace earlier this week, so I am starting my own discussion here. Call me hopelessly addicted, but I have to admit that I have one of each. Wait wait, don't leave, let me explain! There is good in each - it is a way for me to connect with different worlds.
Blogs: Here, I connect with my "college world" - Stephanie, Lane, Mary, Nick, Valerie, Heather, and a few new ones added in for fun. Here we have the rants and lively discussions that I know would be just as humerous and/or insightful if we were all sitting at McCalister's (which I miss so much by the way - they don't have one in Lexington.) Here I can read daily updates of people I love, but get to see maybe once a year. You all were very formative in my life, and so being in the blog-sphere and having the chance to reconnect with a lot of you is super important and exciting. The downfall - blogs are patterned little screens - you can choose from only a handful of backgrounds, and there is no venue specifically for pictures (unless you want to post directly in your blog, which I will do right here and right now - partly to prove a point, partly to show off my super cute pup)














Facebook: Another point of connect. Living in Kentucky I have met a whole new slew of friends, mostly through work. They pretty much all attend UK - and Facebook is the big deal. "Come Liz - every one is on it now!" If you will notice, those who facebook, (and yes, Facebook is both a noun and a verb) I have more "friends" from UK than I do pretty much all of the other colleges combined!! Not to say I don't have friend else-where, I mean, I am pretty loveable in many states, but mainly just because that is my way of connecting with people here. It is a great place to post pictures galore and catch up with people I see, but not necessarily on a daily basis. Downfall: It is limited only to those with a valid school address, which means I can connect only with the smart people I know. =) (just kidding)
Myspace: Enter world three - those who don't believe in blogs and don't go to school. They are a limited few, but they do exist. Honestly, I started a myspace because Kris wouldn't leave me alone. So I had an account so I could read his posts and see his pictures, but didn't actually do anything with mine until just this week. Now, I am fully decorated, have music in the background and pictures for browsing. While I know that the greatest downfall is how wide open myspace is for pervs and the like, and everyone and their mom has a myspace, it does have its good points as well. I love that I can search music on here. It gives me the opportunity to discover new music - a gift I always took for granted when living near Stephanie and Mary (new find: Kate Laurel Smith - wow!) I can just type in Patty Griffin, and see who lists her as great, then see who else they have listed. I have spent my morning discovering some really talented ladies on myspace.

I think the important thing to remember here is that blogs, myspace, facebook - we can't allow them to become our lives. My friend Alice told me once, "If it ever gets to the point where I am checking your blog instead of calling you on the phone to see what is going on, then we have a problem." Yes, this world is easy and convient, but physical time will always trump time in front of a screen. Stephanie came to visit yesterday, and I can't think of time better spent then walking around (in the cold!) catching up, discussing in person the same things we bring up here. I love the community this has created, just, let's not forget that phone calls, letters in the mail and visits are WAY better. =)

So, here's to myfaceblogbookspace.......happy typing.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home